Wednesday, June 26, 2013

policy posted on fan fiction

I am detailed about fan fiction guidelines of my work and will allow it for Lake Fossil Only with the condition I get to publish it in The Ethereal Gazette. I am doing an anthology of real person horror featuring me as a character but I ask contributors to read Namesake II for the model story to this idea -- I want them to be straight up balls to the wall scary horror. Nothing sexual or slashy oriented -- I don't want to see male male romance, female-female romance, female female erotica, no trans shit either, or male male erotica. That is gross. The memoir is the source material for the fan fiction stories based off me, I want them written in the vein of Richard Matheson and Richard Christian Matheson. Intelligent and surreal is what I am looking for with one story being features on the blog with a page dedicated to the best story overall. I am not looking for anything resembling Andrew Wolter or Poppy Z. Brite. But I want stories to feel not out of place on Mike Philbin's anthologies he published over the years. I want the writers to be creative and have a full range of creativity with the dark subject matter. My trademark style is using real haunted places -- akin to In The Reflection Of A Lens. I am looking for help to format the book to publish it on creatspace.com but I am looking to work with Lulu.com -- my strict guidelines for the magazine are in effect for the anthology and the size I am going for is 260 pages. Think the publications I put out in the past and what I was featured in for examples here -- the suggested reads will be posted on this one blog entry too for those looking for help to get ideas for the stories. I am looking to pitch the anthology to fanfictio.net since I joined there nine years ago to play around with ideas that are unique to me but sneak great deals of originality in there--I got in trouble for being too original for fanfiction.net.
       I want to work with another editor to make this anthology work, something that needs a collaboration between two editors to make it happen. The weirder the stories and more surreal -- the better, I write with a lot of surrealism like Mike Philbin but it is more toned down. I am working on a short story right now that is another sequel and looking to send it off to a paying market. I am trying to convince Jordan Bobe to be the co-editor on this project because it's got some of the traits of Darkened Horizons: Issue 3's closing story. I can hold my own with Gabrielle Faust and Kevin Lucia in that anthology but that one had a lot of egos -- none of the writers involved got along except for Colin who appears in The Ethereal Gazette as the closing writer. I want to do something that has an oil painting for a cover like the namesake 2 has. I have the rules laid out for the masses here -- and want everyone to be on the same page when it comes to this pet project as an anthologist. I want to work with createspace or Lulu.com on this one. I want to publish the book in a 5.5 x 8.5 trade paperback. I want to do this as a print only anthology -- but I want to co-edit a kindle or nook only anthology too with another editor who can operate software on a desktop computer. Laptops are good for writing but when it comes to editing a publication it is hard as hell.
      I know my fans well in the business, they like to kick peoples asses -- they fight, drink beer, smoke cigarettes, pissed off and intelligent. I stole one of Poppy's fans with Library of Bones -- so I am looking for fan fiction based off that short story. It was published on HorrorMasters.com and it was one of my stronger stories I wrote in 2003 -- it got noticed by Nicholas Tillemans. I am looking for that kind of dark but not perverse. If you want to collaborate on the stories with another writer that is fine. I welcome collaborations. I published a collaboration between two brothers and they are billed as The Davis Brothers on the TOC. I published a writing team on The Ethereal Gazette: Issue One. I want to do more with collaboration teams as a publisher. I am trying to do this real person fan fiction anthology as an excise as an editor to train my eye to those who can stay faithful to my visions as a publisher. Tabloid Purposes broadscope was twisted horror and mind-bending Science Fiction but accessible enough to the teenager to shock their parents -- I wanted a cover where the parents will say, "What the fuck are you reading? At least you're reading books and not watching TV all the time." I like weird and surreal -- but nothing too pervers. I am co-writing a story with one of the contributors on the namesake one's reboot. I will be writing the introduction for this anthology where it will pay tribute to Richard Matheson and his influence on the writers in Tabloid Purposes IV and my story in the namesake one. The model for the fan fiction anthology is my story in namesake 2. I want nothing that would fit in the queer horror anthologies that are published out there or the erotica anthologies that are published in the small press. I want inventive not sleazy.
       I noticed that slash writers are little sleazy--and that is why The Fandom Writer seems to piss them off. The story is a swipe at Poppy Z. Brite in 2004 when I first wrote it -- I submitted the story for a contest but the judge was the editor of Queer Fear. My anthologies was the straight writers answer to that trend. I wanted writers who are straight and Christian. I was blessed to worked with Christian writers from the very beginning but I want something that wouldn't be too out of place in a bookshelf along side Frank Peretti or Ted Dekker. I want an illustrator who is talented as A.P. Fuchs illustrating this anthology but helping me design the covers on photoshop because I want to have the cool spine layout. I am thinking of making the anthology available on cafepress.com but they don't have the size I want for the anthology. The thing with working with Creatspace is you need a pdf blender to put the pdf's together into one document. That is what I like about Lulu.com they do that all for me. I just need someone to help me design the wrap around covers to make the anthology seamless. I want it something cool that I can see what people do with me as a character in a story -- but make the story original.
      Tucker in Chimeraworld so Mike gets some attention for his anthologies -- give the books supernatural powers. I want the stories to be genrecletic. That is Mike's term. I want a dark delivery that belongs entirely to the contributor. I am looking to run this through some channels and have working titles going in my head for the anthology. I might enlist the Tabloid Purposes roster to look over the stories with me -- I want to borrow a trait that Kaplan did when he edited Emanations having more than one editor working on a project but one editor calling the shots who stays or who gets cut. I want writers good enough to invade Clive Barker's website like I did 13 years ago. I linked up the short story that did just that when I did a wall post on facebook.com. I am promoting the anthologies I did and appeared in hard on the groups. It is hard to get contributors who are keen to a vision you have for an anthology but when it works it works. I was blessed to work with as many writers as I did over the nine plus years as a publisher -- I have been a publisher almost as long as A.P. Fuchs -- I was lucky to work with him to illustrate Faraday Nelson's short story in The Ethereal Gazette: Issue 12.